Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Selfish Sewing Time

The kids (in particular the little girls) are the ones that benefit from my sewing most of the time.  But this past week, thanks to Selfish Sewing Week, it was all about me.



patterns:  Shearwater Caftan by Make It Perfect & Maritime Shorts by Grainline Studio
size: Small & 8
fabrics:  Lisette Lawn from the Spring 2011 collection and Cotton Twill (stone) from Organic Cotton Plus  *I received 2 yards of the twill at no cost in exchange for a review
mods:  shortened the sleeves of the top & changed the pocket openings on the shorts, added an inch to the length, and narrowed the leg opening slightly

Shearwater Caftan
 
The pattern has long sleeves and then a button/tab so that you can roll up the sleeves to approximately elbow length. Since it's finally warmed up here, I knew I'd wear the top with the sleeves rolled up all the time.  Why not go ahead and cut the sleeves shorter? So, I did!  I also opted to do the shorter front opening.
 
 
 I really like my Maritime Shorts that I made back in the fall but thanks to all that running they are getting a little loose.  This time around I sewed up a size 8 and only added an inch to the length. 

Maritime Shorts

I prefer angled pockets to scoop pockets so I decided to change the shape of the pocket opening.  Next time, I will make the top of the pocket opening about an inch closer to the side seam.  

I can't say enough good things about the twill fabric.  I've had a really hard time finding twill that is good quality and not exorbitantly priced.  This twill is comparable to the fabric used in high end RTW chinos and priced at $11.90/yard. The 7 oz. weight is perfect for shorts.  It's sturdy enough but not so heavy that it's unbearable to wear during the height of summer.  Organic Cotton Plus has a nice selection too...23 different colors!  I have my eye on cloud and charcoal.  They'll be great for making basic shorts that go with everything.  Though after seeing the toddler jacket that Kelli made using chili pepper red, I'm tempted to use a fun color.;) 

selfishsewing back
 
I forgot to move the pockets in closer to the center back seam like I did on my first pair.  I don't need my bottom to look any wider than it already is!  All in all, I like my new clothes and see them getting a lot of wear. 
 
selfish sewing 2014 all
 
 
 

28 comments:

  1. Nice outfit! I've been thinking about making up some shorts this summer I will give this pattern a look. Do you add length just for your height or did you find them short for us average heighted folks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both look really great. I'd think you could live in the shorts all summer. Way to go on the running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, shorts are definitely part of my summer "uniform". But finding that perfect pair isn't always easy.

      Running has surprisingly become some what addictive. We ran our 5k on Saturday. Time to find another race!

      Delete
  3. First off, you look great Cindy! I can't wait to get back to running. And the shorts look so well made and the top looks very comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both top and shorts look fabulous on you!! And I love your new hair cut too, gorgeous you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for retail shorts today, but to be honest I like yours much better!
    Need to check the Organic cotton and shorts pattern - looks like a winning combo :)
    Btw, you do look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shearwater caftan!! I need that pattern! (And even have the perfect fabric for it.) Looking good, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good Cindy. Lovely casual outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great going with the running, Cindy. Sounds like you've persevered. I've had my eye on the Make It Perfect Caftan for a while now. Have you made it in a smaller size and with thicker fabric? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those shorts are perfection! You've already got a lot of green growing in your neck of the woods, looking forward to some green here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look awesome! And hey we made the same size of Maritime shorts! Can't wait to show mine for Vintage May. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great outfit Cindy. I almost never wear shorts but I could be persuaded by a pair like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a perfect outfit! It so beautifully sewn and you look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you made some time to sew for yourself :) I find it easier to sew for the DD because most of the time it fits with little effort, whereas with my sewing I need more alterations.
    I love, love, LOVE your top. It has that breezy summer feel to it that makes you want a nice warm day (we have T-storms lol) and I've been wanting to try those shorts since last summer. They look great on you - I much prefer classic solid color shorts so these rock :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great outfit! I love the top fabric, so cute, and I really like a breezy blouse in the summer months.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the shorts especially. Very comfy looking and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The outfit looks great! I should be brave and try make myself some shorts but there are too many things I want to do :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look awesome! Love your new clothes and the fact that you sewed for yourself is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl! I think as the kids get older, I'll probably be sewing more and more for myself. We'll see...

      CM

      Delete
  18. Wow Cindy you are looking so well and so youthful and fresh.
    Lovely, casual sewing.
    That look would cost you a bomb in the shops

    ReplyDelete
  19. You really did a nice job on the shorts Cindy. That looks like an awesome user friendly pattern. Next week I'll be starting my own pair with the KWIK Sew 3267 pattern. Hopefully I'll have the same success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joe! I've been really happy with the Maritime Shorts pattern. Speaking of which, my oldest daughter could use a few more pairs.;) Good luck with the Kwik Sew pattern!

      Cindy

      Delete
  20. The top is really lovely and the shorts look great! Nice work on your running!! I have yet to get back into it for the summer, and I can't blame the weather anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What a perfect outfit! I've been hoarding the fabric you used for your top. It looks so good as a caftan!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!