Monday, May 6, 2013

Lab on the Hood(ie)

lab hoodie5

6th birthday BK
 
 
The hoodie was supposed to be one of BK's birthday presents (she turned 6 on May 5) but due to zipper difficulties I was a day late in finishing it.  Better late than never, right?
 
 
Size:  7/8, with 7 length for the body and 8 length for the sleeves so that it will (hopefully!) fit for a couple of years
Fabric:  Aqua Heather Knit French Terry for main, Creme with greenish polka dots French Terry for lining, ribbing
Mods:  Applique on front and lapped zipper
 
I was inspired by this hoodie by Hatley.
 
To cut the Labrador Retriever silhouette out, I used my handy, dandy new toy that I recently won from The Thinking Closet...the Silhouette Portrait. I still have no clue what I'm doing with the SP but I'm bound and determined to master it!
 

 
lab hoodie6
 
This is my 4th time sewing up the Kitschy Coo Hoodie.  My previous versions were all made out of polar fleece and knit jersey.  The pattern comes together nicely...it's definitely my go to pattern for hoodies.:)  However, I would not recommend using 2 thick fabrics and trying to do a lapped zipper like I did.  The multiple layers of fabric where the pockets are made it real hard to get the zipper in straight. Attempt #12 is still far from perfect (there's gaping between the pockets when BK moves around) but it's good enough for me.  Honestly, I couldn't bear to rip the zipper out again.
 
This hoodie should fit for a long time.  The sleeve cuffs are folded in half in the pictures.  I have another 1 1/2" when BK needs the extra length.
 
And just so you don't get the idea that BK is always thrilled about having her pictures taken...
 
 
lab hoodie2
 
...only 6 years old and she's an eye rolling champ!
 
 



21 comments:

  1. Since we've had our recent bouts of zipper traumas, is it fair to say we 'feel your pain'??? Still: you are super brave to attempt aligning that lab - front and center :). AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the eye rolling ;-) - the hoodie's great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the applique! Oh and her pouty face and eye rolling looks way too familiar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um so I wish I knew about Kitchycoo's hoodie pattern before the last film petit! Gah! Apparently I should pay closer attention to your blog, hehe. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many goes at the zipper? 12!!! I had to reread that number. I would have given up way before that, Cindy. Well done on persisting!!! Great job on aligning the labrador!!! Looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! 12 times, I'd never have finished that, you're a champ. I love the lab dog, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very close to giving up...my husband kept telling me to buy one and be done with it--but the hoodie is no longer available!;) Thanks, Uta!

      Delete
  7. Great applique! And the last picture is hillarious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an awesome hoodie!!! I tried frankensteining 2 different patterns & making a pullover one, & it was a disaster! Yours is so cute, I think I'll pick up the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I think it's a great pattern.:)

      C

      Delete
  9. I wouldn't say I'm a crier....but that many goes at a zipper I would have cried. Cute hoodie though and it sounds like she'll be able to wear it for a long time! The eyeroll is hilarious, probably less so on the receiving end :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the eye roll so much right now...though by the time she is a teenager I might feel differently!;) Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Wow! Our girls share a birthday, BK is 4 years ahead of my daughter but it is certainly a good birth date to have. Hope she enjoyed her day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Cinco de Mayo baby, how neat!:)

      C

      Delete
  11. 12 times! Wow! I am impressed with your persistence!! I think that I would have given up after about half that number. The hoodie with the lab is charming and BK already has me 'in her pocket'. I think she is adorable! She is sweet and sassy like a gingerbread cookie! I have a little red head in my class like that now. She makes me smile even when she isn't trying to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You won an SP!?! Have fun with it. The lab totally makes this hoodie! I had to laugh about the eye rolling photo :)
    My baby turns 6 at the end of July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I'm looking forward to using it for appliques. Next up on my list is to try some iron on vinyl.;) Thanks!

      Delete
  13. You've conquered something I haven't even tried yet: cutting fabric with the Silhouette! Clearly, the cutting worked out wonderfully, and the final product is well worth all of the zipper re-dos. 12 times? Yikes. You have the patience of a saint!

    Happy birthday to BK!

    (P.S. I'm hosting another Silhouette Portrait Giveaway today...eek! Though I'm not sure anything will top my excitement at seeing your name pop up in the Rafflecopter widget as the winner.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience of a saint? More like the tenacity of a bull dog!lol Looking at it now, I don't know why I was concerned about the zipper being perfect...one of my store bought hoodies with a lapped zipper does the same thing, gapes a little where the pockets are. Oh well!:)

      I shared about the giveaway on my facebook page. Can't wait to see what project you did with the chip board!

      C

      Delete
    2. Ha ha. "Tenacity of a bull dog." I like that.

      Thanks for letting me feature this awesome hoodie in my fabric applique post today. Here's the link if you're curious to see it along with my lil rubber ducky onesie. ;-) I'm glad I gave cutting fabric a go; it was much easier than I expected! http://www.thinkingcloset.com/2013/05/24/fabric-applique-onesie-tutorial-free-cut-file/

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!